Here you'll find a round up of all the added extras we like to give you to support our year-round programme of great films and events. You can click to read interviews and articles ahead of upcoming events at GFT, programme notes written by local film journalists, academics and post-graduates which support our screenings and seasons and see video and photo coverage of our events. We'll also have staff recommendations and reviews.
We'd like to hear from you too - please leave any comments or feedback under each post.
Programme Notes blog posts:
- 24 MayProgramme note: Andrei Tarkovsky: Sculpting TimeScreening from pristine new digital prints, the Russian auteur's seven features will be showing at GFT every Sunday evening from 22 May to 3 July.Read this blog post →
- 4 FebProgramme Note: RamsSince Rams is deeply concerned with themes of heritage and history, let’s begin with some context. Read this blog post →
- 4 FebProgramme Note: TrumboAs Henry Barnes notes, ‘if there's one subject that Hollywood finds infinitely fascinating, it's Hollywood.’Read this blog post →
- 28 JanProgramme Note: YouthNot unlike the recent surreal comedy The Lobster, Youth takes place in a hotel where life moves at its own rhythms. Read this blog post →
- 6 JanProgramme Note: A WarCinema is often a mirror to cultural preoccupations; cinema about war doubly so.Read this blog post →
- 3 DecProgramme Note: an Interview with Terence DaviesWriter Nathanael Smith interviews director Terence Davies about the making of Sunset Song. Read this blog post →
- 12 AugProgramme Note: TheebUntil relatively recently it looked as though the Western was in danger of dying out... Read this blog post →
- 17 JulProgramme Note: Touch of EvilThe struggle to bring Orson Welles’ vision to the screen took almost half a century, and even now it is doubtful that we are seeing the ‘true’ Orson Welles Touch of Evil.Read this blog post →
- 9 JulProgramme Note: Love & MercyAs eloquently put in critic Keith Phipps’ review for website The Dissolve, ‘The Beach Boys’ music has its roots in the weaving together of multiple voices...Read this blog post →
- 21 MayProgramme Note: A Girl Walks Home Alone At NightBorn in England, and with both American and Iranian heritage, Amirpour pours a confluence of cultural ideas into her debut feature.Read this blog post →