Here you'll find a round up of all the added extras we like to give you to support our year-round programme of great films and events. You can click to read interviews and articles ahead of upcoming events at GFT, programme notes written by local film journalists, academics and post-graduates which support our screenings and seasons and see video and photo coverage of our events. We'll also have staff recommendations and reviews.
We'd like to hear from you too - please leave any comments or feedback under each post.
Programme Notes blog posts:
- 14 JanProgramme Note: WhiplashThe second feature from writer/director Damien Chazelle, Whiplash is both intensely original in its drive and passion, whilst also being a throwback to a myriad of archetypical film types.Read this blog post →
- 12 JanProgramme Note: FoxcatcherJohn du Pont was the heir to a massive fortune via a family whose high social stature can be traced all the way back to the American Revolution...Read this blog post →
- 24 OctProgramme Note: Le jour se lève In spite of an often-turbulent socio-political backdrop, the decade leading up to the outbreak of the Second World War was an extraordinarily fruitful one for French cinema...Read this blog post →
- 7 OctProgramme Note: Palo AltoIt is nighttime in Palo Alto, California, a comfortable, if unremarkable, bedroom community on the fringes of San Francisco... Read this blog post →
- 2 OctProgramme Note: Human CapitalBased on American author Stephen Amidon's 2004 novel of the same name, Human Capital has recently been confirmed as Italy's official submission for next year's foreign film category at the Academy Awards...Read this blog post →
- 29 SepProgramme Note: A Spell to Ward Off the DarknessA lot is intuited about A Spell to Ward off the Darkness from the typography of its title alone... Read this blog post →
- 23 SepProgramme Note: IdaPolish director Pawel Pawlikowski’s Ida (2013) represents a return to his country of origin after two films set in England... Read this blog post →
- 18 SepProgramme Note: Down by LawDown by Law hailed a significant moment in the career of Jim Jarmusch, as the ‘American original’ stretched out from the relative constraints of his previous two films... Read this blog post →
- 21 AugProgramme Note: Two Days, One NightMoney has been a conspicuous theme throughout the oeuvre of Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne... Read this blog post →
- 19 AugProgramme Note: From Scotland with LoveYou can tell an awful lot – and yet also very little – from the title of From Scotland With Love... Read this blog post →