Here you'll find a round up of all the added extras we like to give you to support our year-round programme of great films and events. You can click to read interviews and articles ahead of upcoming events at GFT, programme notes written by local film journalists, academics and post-graduates which support our screenings and seasons and see video and photo coverage of our events. We'll also have staff recommendations and reviews.
We'd like to hear from you too - please leave any comments or feedback under each post.
- 11 MayProgramme Note: LebanonThere is a scene in Lebanon (Maoz, 2009), set during the early stages of the Israeli army’s 1982 invasion of its northern neighbour, in which a Christian Phalangist terrorises a Syrian prisoner, by t...Read this blog post →
- 23 AprProgramme Note: Life During WartimeAmerica’s independent film scene has gone through a dramatic transformation over the past few decades. The 1990s saw a surge in the number of directors making films on shoe-string budgets, some of w...Read this blog post →
- 21 AprProgramme Note: Vittorio GassmanVittorio Gassman (1922 – 2000)A cultured, highly intelligent actor of German-Italian descent, Gassman made his theatrical debut at the age of 21 in 1943. ‘I immediately got to play major roles’ h...Read this blog post →
- 15 AprProgramme Note: City of Life and Death Please note that this article contains spoilers. ‘The first casualty of war is innocence’ – this declaration unflinchingly resonates throughout all 132 minutes of the brutal Chinese historical d...Read this blog post →
- 14 AprItalian Film Festival in Scotland at GFTEveryone knows about spaghetti westerns. A mere mention of the term brings the familiar cacophony of Ennio Morricone's jangling, screeching scores rushing into the brain accompanied by images of a squ...Read this blog post →
- 9 AprProgramme Note: I Am LovePlease note that this article contains spoilers.“I am love” or, in Italian, “io sono l’amore” is a line never spoken in Luca Guadagnino’s film of the same name, and yet one which encapsulat...Read this blog post →
- 5 MarProgramme Note: The Father of My ChildrenPlease note that this article contains spoilers. To link Norman Bates to The Father Of My Children seems a very frightening prospect indeed- one can clearly imagine the tabloid headline. But broods of ...Read this blog post →
- 28 FebProgramme Note: MicmacsPlease note that this article contains spoilersJean-Pierre Jeunet’s Micmacs (Micmacs à tire-larigot, 2009) stars one of France’s most beloved comedians, Dany Boon, as Bazil, a man with a lot goin...Read this blog post →
- 8 FebProgramme Note: PreciousPlease note that these programme notes contain spoilers. At the same time that Precious was accumulating rave reviews in the States there was another film that was making a bigger dent at the box offic...Read this blog post →
- 25 JanProgramme Note: A ProphetPlease note that this article contains spoilers. “[Un Prophète], as all good films should be, is rooted in realism, but you must not ignore the poetry, the fiction, the story. Film is not abst...Read this blog post →